Xfce and web browsers

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Mon Jan 8 13:20:11 CET 2007

TerryJ wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:

>>> It has nothing to do with the browser preferences.  They have not changed.
>>>
>>> I am still calling the same executable but via a link named
>>> "mozilla-firefox".
>>>

>> I see. My pardon. Have you tried this on the command line? I'm fairly
>> certain this is an application issue
>>

> Well, it's another one of those oddities.
>
> I've changed the preferred application back to Swiftfox and also opened
> an .html document from Thunar with Swiftfox.  Links from both
> Thunderbird and Thunar now open in a new tab in the existing Swiftfox
> window. =-O
>
> <snip>  What seems to
> have made the difference is changing the preferred application to
> "mozilla-firefox" and changing it back to swiftfox.
>
> I can't take it any more. :'(

This monster has more than one head.

Today, the browser (Swiftfox) crashes whenever I log in to Gmail.  As
soon as the Inbox loads, the browser crashes.

So, I tried to use Konqueror.  Konqueror (bless it) downloads the Gmail
login page to /tmp and then opens the cached copy in Swiftfox.  Mumble,
mutter, mutter.

In the meantime, I've uninstalled Firefox.  I tried making Konqueror the
preferred application.  That made no difference.

I think I can overcome the cached copy nonsense by adding %u to the
Swiftfox menu command in Kde.  BUT that will just mean that Konqueror
will use Swiftfox to open the login page.

Is it possible to have more than one browser function in Xfce and, if
so, how?

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org