Xfce and web browsers

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Sun Jan 7 06:27:45 CET 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 1/6/07, TerryJ <listmail at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Erik Harrison wrote:

>>> %s is the argument being passed. It's substituted.
>>>
>>> You've upgraded to Firefox 2.0 (err, Swiftfox), which has as the
>>> default behavior to open URLs in new tabs. Go to
>>> Edit->Preferences->Tabs and say "New content should be opened in a new
>>> window"
>>>
>> It has nothing to do with the browser preferences.  They have not changed.
>>
>> I am still calling the same executable but via a link named
>> "mozilla-firefox".
>>

> I see. My pardon. Have you tried this on the command line? I'm fairly
> certain this is an application issue

Well, it's another one of those oddities.

I've changed the preferred application back to Swiftfox and also opened
an .html document from Thunar with Swiftfox.  Links from both
Thunderbird and Thunar now open in a new tab in the existing Swiftfox
window. =-O

I just can't get the previous behaviour to repeat.  In the course of
trying to fix it, I removed the firefox executable from /usr/bin and
replaced it with a link named "firefox" to swiftfox.  I altered the link
"mozilla-firefox" so that it also referred to swiftfox.

At the time, those changes seemed to make no difference.  What seems to
have made the difference is changing the preferred application to
"mozilla-firefox" and changing it back to swiftfox.

I can't take it any more. :'(

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org