Xinerama - start apps on specific screen

Benjamin Winkel uzspde at uni-bonn.de
Sun Jan 7 10:53:48 CET 2007

Hi all,

on my Laptop I have configured an external Display using the ATI flgrx
driver to have an extended Xinerama-like Desktop. All works fine (except
for some ugly artefacts). But when I use the Laptop without the second
Display I get the following problem: some apps 'remember' somehow on
which screen they were last time. Starting such an app it eventually
tries to get onto the external screen (which doesn't exist at that
moment) though it seems to not reach it. The process is running, but
there isn't any window e.g. in the pager.

Is there a possibility to add a command line parameter to specify on
which screen an app should appear? If not, any other suggestions. A
(silly) workaround would be to change the xorg.conf each time the
display configuration is changed. But thats not my favorite option...

Thanks

Benjamin