[SPAMKLASSAT av SU] startup scripts

Adam Morissun abmorissun at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 06:36:57 CET 2007

Hi. I found xfce4 while trying out a slew of distributions over the past
few weeks and I'm hooked. Gnome and KDE are slower than WinXP... even on
my P4 2.6Ghz.

Anyways, I'm very, VERY happy to find my Ati Remote Wonder is no longer
a piece of Windows junk. I'm using 'lirc' to command my ogle and xmms2
players, but I ran into a snag. I don't want to implement the irexec and
irxevent daemons systemwide - just on a per-session basis as I log into
X. The truth is, irxevent won't work unless X is already started.

I had trouble figuring out where to put those two commands to begin
with. I started with a script in ~/Desktop/Autostart, but when I started
X, it migrated to ~/.config/autostart (is that a Debian Etchy thing?).
My script was simply

#!/bin/bash
irexec -d
irxevent -d

Alright, that worked. The two daemons showed up with 'ps ax'. But
irxevents wasn't sending anything to ogle or any other program. irw
showed that the lircd daemon did indeed see my remote button presses;
they just weren't getting sent through irxevent to my applications.

According to the PID order of things, my ir daemons were started before
anything else xfce4- or X-related. I'm geussing that irxevent has to be
started later?

I solved the problem by writing up my own ~/.xinitrc

irexec -d &
irxevent -d &
startxfce4 # script stops here until logout
pkill irexec # so i don't get multiple daemons
pkill irxevent

I'm not really sure how that made a difference. There's always a better
way... So I thought I'd ask. :-)

That startxfce4 script made my eyes gloss over (arcane scripts do that
to me sometimes). Can someone explain how xfce4 starts up? I see that it
starts xfce-mcs-manager, xfwm4, xfdesktop, dbus-daemon, dbus-launch,
Thunar-daemon, xfce4-panel, and 2-4 other Thunars, but I don't
understand what all the tests and variables are for.

Thanks!