Terminal and Thunar starting in /

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Jan 5 16:08:04 CET 2007

Samuel Verstraete wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a checkout of xfce4.4 svn yesterday and now both Thunar and
> Terminal are starting in / when i start them from the menu on the
> desktop. Starting them from the panel launchers, the keyboard shortcuts
> or Verve result in both starting in /home/$USER
>
> As i thought there could have been a change in the .config files i
> tried to delete as much ~/.config files as i could, i also cleaned
> ~/.cache (i only kept the one from the panel as i think that one has
> nothing to do with any of my problems and it's a pain to configure)...
> Still the same
>
> Though if i create a new user i do not get these problems... so
> obviously i missed some config file somewhere...
> As both are using libexo for session managment i was thinking this
> could be libexo related? Benny?
>
> I'm using the default menu that comes with a Xfce installation
> so entries for thunar and terminal are thunar and xfterm4

thunar-vfs now chdir()'s when listing folder contents to avoid inode
lookups for each and every file. Afterwards thunar-vfs chdir() to "/" to
avoid blocking a folder removal with certain file systems (i.e. smbfs).
Looks like xfdesktop doesn't specify a working directory when launching
applications from the menu.

> gr,S.

Benedikt