HOWTO get rid of automatically started Gnomeservices

Terry terauck-xfce at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 3 03:51:58 CET 2007

Matthew Cline wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin at linuxuse.de> wrote:
>
>> Everytime I start up I get a message from bugbuddy, that
>> evolution-notify has crashed, I do not use evolution so i would like to
>> stop xfce starting it by default, is it enough to switch off loading
>> gnome-services completely or ist there a way to cut single services one
>> by one by hacking a sessionfile?
>>

> I have the same problem in xubuntu edgy, and I would also like to get
> rid of all things Evolution since I don't use it. I disabled the
> starting of gnome services, which seems to have gotten rid of the
> error. However, if I open xfce4-taskmanager right after starting a new
> session, I still see several evolution-related processes, including:
>
> evolution-alarm-notify
> evolution-data-server-1.8
> evolution-exchange-server
>
> I don't know if this is an issue with xfce or some underlying Ubuntu
> thing (I suspect the later), but I would really like to rid myself of
> these evolution things as well.
>
> HTH,
>
> Matt

If you save/have saved the session with those processes running, they
will start each time you log in.  You need to kill them and save the
session without them.

If that isn't enough, can you change the evolution settings so that the
daemons and devils don't start?

At some time, I decided it was a bad idea to start Gnome services.  I
forget the reason but I was having a problem with Nautilus running
unwanted.  File-Roller is the only Gnome app I run and it manages well
enough without Gnome services.

--

Regards, Terry N.
Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS  www.revivalcentres.org