Using winkey as modifier instead of Alt

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Sun Feb 25 12:52:54 CET 2007

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> TerryJ wrote:
>

>> Regrettably, on my system the key is as dead as a dodo.  Nothing I do
>> invigorates it. :'(
>>

> Run xev and press the key, that'll give you some hint on how it's seen.
> (keycode and keysym):
>
> For example, here, it gives:
>
> KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x2c00001,
>     root 0x1a5, subw 0x0, time 4164745750, (-1322,25), root:(374,889),
>     state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>
> Then run xmodmap to get the modifier mapping. For example, I used to put
> this xmodmap definition in my $HOME/.Xmodmap file to make Super_L a
> modifier so that it can be used with other keys:
>
> clear mod4
> add mod4 = Super_L
>
> HTH
> Olivier.

Thank you.  I get much the same reading.

For some reason the command 'add' is not recognised either in the
command line or in a (new executable text) file .Xmodmap.  According to
the man page, it should work as you indicate.

The command xmodmap -e "add mod3 = Super_L" runs without error but mod3
is not subsequently shown by xmodmap and has no effect, for example,
with F2 in place of Alt. :-\

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org