Blurry backgrounds

Henk Boom lunarc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 00:15:21 CET 2007

On 22/02/07, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
> On 2007-02-22, Henk Boom <lunarc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> They look identical to me...
> >
> > Okay, I've engineered a more pointed example, with a magnified portion
> > to make it clearer. This background is simply a checkerboard pattern
> > with light and dark colours (might be hard on the eyes for some, so I
> > made it a small image). The left portion of the shot shows the
> > background that is rendered, while the right shows the image in an
> > image editor. The black-bordered box is a blown up portion of the
> > image, clearly showing that the colours are bleeding into each other
> > in the background.
>
> I don't see any "blurring", but there does appear to be problems
> with the colors being rendered oddly.

Well, in a plain checkerboard with 1-pixel-sized checkers, the main
effect a blur has is to lower the contrast, as the dark checkers are
lightened by the light checkers around it, and vice-versa. The
blurring itself is more visible (or so I thought) in the original
images I posted, where not only is the scanline effect reduced, but
the edges of the logo are not as sharp.

        Henk Boom