Galeon and Thunar

Evan Cox evan at zenquility.net.au
Thu Feb 15 02:40:06 CET 2007

Hi Anders

No, but I have not really tested konqueror with Xfce4 properly.
Konqueror uses it's internal 'filebrowser' (ie: it own qt dialog box) to
save a file when downloading.  I am unsure how to tell konqueror to open
Thunar to save a file to the home directory.... I don't think you can.
I am not a fan of the lightweight Epiphany file browser in Gnome, and I
am happy to see the back end of Konqueror after 4 years using it.  I am
unsure of how to trace the problem down.

Also could you also confirm that you do not have an issue with Evolution
mail client in Xfce4?  I have noticed that when leave Evolution open on
the desktop, over time (approx 1 Day) the swap file will increase by
approx 250MB.  When I exit Evolution it drops back to around 40Mb.   I
have a full install of Gnome, KDE and Xfce4 at the moment, but I want to
get away from KDE and run a lighter system.  Before you ask.....
everything is compiled via ports, and up to date.  Everything else is
solid and stable.   It must be something obvious I have not done (an
option when compiling) as I can not find any of these issues on Google.

I would be much appreciative if you have heard of anything that I can
check.

Cheers

Evan

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 23:03 +0100, Anders Lind wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:26:53 +1100
> Evan Cox <evan at zenquility.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> >     Excellent job on Xfce 4.4.  Well done :-)
> >
> > I am having an issue with Galeon and Firefox (Both latest versions) in
> > FreeBSD 6.2.  I can browse happily for hours in both browsers, but
> > when I go to download I crash the browser.  The events unfold like
> > this....
> >
> > Browse to site.
> > Click to download
> > There is a small delay whilst it opens Thunar and lets me select where
> > to download
> > Download the file.
> > Select the next thing to download
> > As Thunar is loading, Mr Bug man pops up and Galeon crashes.
> >
> > I can never download more than once per browser session.  When I
> > restore the session, I can download whatever it was, but the next
> > time it will crash.
> > I have tested Galeon and Firefox in Gnome, and it works flawlessly.  I
> > have no idea what to run in order to debug/trace the issue and am
> > happy to follow what ever you suggest to overcome this.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Just for reference, I do not have these problems on my 6.2-system
> (Although I gotta admit I have not used Galeon though). Do you have the
> same issues with Konqueror for example?
>
> Cheers
> Anders

Evan Cox <evan at zenquility.net.au>