v4.2.3.2 panel issues

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 01:38:47 CET 2007

On 2/6/07, John Thompson <john at vector.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
> I'm having a couple issues with the panel on my laptop (running
> Vectorlinux-4.2; XFCE-4.2.3.2, 450mHz Celeron, 192MB RAM)). First, I get
> random seg faults and have to restart the panel. Everything else seems
> fine. If I start the panel from an xterm, there are no real clues left.
> I tried recompiling the panel if perhaps some obscure library change was
> reponsible, but no improvement. Updating to XFCE-4.4 would require major
> changes (gtk, glib, etc.) and I'd prefer not to do so at this point.

You could consider upgrading to 4.2.4, the latest bugfix release of
4.2. I doubt however that there will be any additional work or support
for 4.2 - we're a small group.

That said, the design of the panel in 4.2 means that plugins can
easily crash the panel. Try removing all your plugins and readding
them one at a time until the crash comes back - that'll help you
discover which applet, if any, causes the trouble.

> Second, when I compile and install the battery panel applet (v0.3.0),
> panel cpu useage immediately goes to 90+% and stays there until I disable
> the applet. Any ideas on what to look for?
>
> --
>
> John (john at os2.dhs.org)

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room