Matching windows to desktops

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Tue Feb 6 03:54:10 CET 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Lehman Black <dosnlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> maybe wmctrl (http://www.sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/)
>>

> wmctrl powers the tool that Terry already found insufficient in terms
> of UI. So that probably won't help

>> "killall"

>> change?
>>
>>> The starting of Xfwm is managed by the session which stores its data
>>> in semi opaque files. You could try poking around in
>>> ~/.cache/sessions, but that's unsupported.
>>>
>>> This is really the official way to do it, kid.
Ok.  wmctrl does not seem to have any relevant parameters and I don't
know that it helps my nerves to contemplate using it.

I'd like to ask one more question.  *If Xfce is nuked by this procedure,
how do I restore it?*  I'll back up .config at least - is it a simple
matter of replacing the new .config with the old?

afterstep seems to exist as two executables -/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep
/usr/bin/X11/afterstep .  That's just one example of the type of
complication that can make my attempts at doing this sort of thing blow
up and right now I'm very sick of reinstalling.

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org