Matching windows to desktops

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Tue Feb 6 02:03:33 CET 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 2/5/07, TerryJ <listmail at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Erik Harrison wrote:

>>> If you don't like Xfwm, the run a different one. I was asking a
>>> legitimate question since you claimed the app fit your need. Since
>>> you've (snarkily) claimed that the app is insufficient then replace
>>> the app.
>>>
>>> This list has been over and over and over and over this ground before.
>>> This kind of functionality is not within Xfwm's design goals or
>>> philosophy. In fact, a majority of WMs agree, so Olivier isn't on a
>>> limb or anything. But a MAJOR design goal of all of Xfce is to make it
>>> easy to replace it's components. So replace Xfwm with a window manager
>>> that better meets your needs, and stop making snarky comments about
>>> the work of volunteers.
>>>
>> Oh dear.  Sorry, sorry, SORRY. :-X
>>
>> I think replacing xfwm is beyond my capability.
>>

> It's really not hard.
>
> run this
>
> $ killall xfwm4 && new-wm-I-want & disown
>
> Then logout, saving your session. When you log back out the new WM
> will be running in Xfwm4's place

Thanks. I take it that "disown" is a command.  Now it's a matter of
finding and appropriately describing "new-wm-I-want".  :-\

I think it's probably safer for me to try another standalone window
manager.  AfterStep apparently stops this desktop shifting and
WindowMaker may do so, as far as I understand these matters.  "killall"
looks scary.

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org