Matching windows to desktops

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 01:48:15 CET 2007

On 2/5/07, TerryJ <listmail at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:

> >> I spoke to soon.  It's easy enough to associate certain windows to
> >> desktops but, I've discovered, the window still appears on the active
> >> desktop.
> >>
> >> Silly me.  I had this notion that window manager was part of the desktop.
> >>

> > If you don't like Xfwm, the run a different one. I was asking a
> > legitimate question since you claimed the app fit your need. Since
> > you've (snarkily) claimed that the app is insufficient then replace
> > the app.
> >
> > This list has been over and over and over and over this ground before.
> > This kind of functionality is not within Xfwm's design goals or
> > philosophy. In fact, a majority of WMs agree, so Olivier isn't on a
> > limb or anything. But a MAJOR design goal of all of Xfce is to make it
> > easy to replace it's components. So replace Xfwm with a window manager
> > that better meets your needs, and stop making snarky comments about
> > the work of volunteers.
> Oh dear.  Sorry, sorry, SORRY. :-X
>
> I think replacing xfwm is beyond my capability.

It's really not hard.

run this

$ killall xfwm4 && new-wm-I-want & disown

Then logout, saving your session. When you log back out the new WM
will be running in Xfwm4's place

> --
>
> Regards, TerryJ
>
> Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room