xfce4-volstatus-icon

Robby Workman xfce at rlworkman.net
Mon Aug 27 23:56:34 CEST 2007

Joost Kremers wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 02:20:35PM -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> Joost Kremers wrote:

>>> the second thing concerns unmounting: sometimes, i try to remove a device
>>> when there is still a program making use of it. (usually because i'm still
>>> in a directory on the device in a Terminal window.) the device is not
>>> unmounted in this case, obviously. it would be nice if volstatus pops up a
>>> warning message if this happens
>> You need to compile libexo (specifically, exo-unmount/exo-eject) with
>> libnotify support; I'm pretty sure it will pop up a notification if the
>> unmount fails.
>
> actually, if i try to unmount by right-clicking the icon on the desktop,
> and choosing "unmount volume", i do indeed get a warning.
>
> but perhaps that doesn't necessarily mean exo-mount was compiled with
> libnotify support? ldd /usr/bin/exo-mount doesn't list libnotify...

Joost:

Slackware doesn't include libnotify, so you would have to install it
and then recompile the xfce package.  We have a build script for it
(libnotify) at http://slackbuilds.org if you want it.

On the subject of libnotify, you're one of several people to express
an interest in it - I'm beginning to wonder if it would be a good
candidate to recommend for Pat to include in the next release.
Do you (Brian, you too, and anyone else on the list) have any thoughts
on it?  Are there any disadvantages - in other words, does everything
under the sun link to it and cause extraneous dependency issues?

RW