the fonts is out of control

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Apr 30 10:02:09 CEST 2007

Hi,

Chuanwen Wu wrote:
> After update my gentoo linux,the font in xfce4.4 is out of the control
> of my
> ".fonts.conf". Just as the ".fonts.conf" file doesn't work. I am sure
> the file ".fonts.conf" is not changed and when I use gnome,everything
> is Ok!
> I guess maybe because when I "etc-update",I change some files in /etc which
> may configure the fonts of xfce4.But I
> don't know which files.
>
> Now the english characters are unclear and the Chinese
> characters are even more worse.

I am not sure what version of xfce you run, not even what you mean by
"out of control", but between 4.4.0 and 4.4.1, I removed the fixed DPI
size (because DPI *should* be correctly set by Xorg).

Unfortunately, it appears that Xorg doesn't read EDID correctly in many
cases and therefore is unable to set the DPI properly (since it cannot
tell the actual display size).

There are different ways to work around that:

1) Set the DPI and Xft settings as before, copy the following line in
your $HOME/.Xresources

Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium

2) Set the display size in your Xorg.conf to instruct Xorg about the
actual display size.

E.g.
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "Monitor0"
        ModelName   "LCD Panel 1920x1200"
        HorizSync   31.5 - 90.0
        VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
        DisplaySize 365 230
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

3) Use the version from svn. Given the problems caused by the removal of
the Xdt and DPI Settings (and even I still believe it's not a good idea
to force these values), I've put them back for the next version. You can
grab a snapshot here:

    http://www.foo-projects.org/~olivier/preview/

Grab the "xfce-utils" archive, rebuild it and install it in place.

HTH
Cheers,
Olivier.