the fonts is out of control

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 07:36:24 CEST 2007

On 4/30/07, Chuanwen Wu <wcw.xfce at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/4/30, cathayan <cathayan at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On 4/29/07, Chuanwen Wu < wcw.xfce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,guys!
> > >
> > > After update my gentoo linux,the font in xfce4.4 is out of the control
> of my ".fonts.conf". Just as the ".fonts.conf" file doesn't work. I am sure
> > > the file ".fonts.conf" is not changed and when I use gnome,everything
> > > is Ok!
> > > I guess maybe because when I "etc-update",I change some files in /etc
> which may configure the fonts of xfce4.But I
> > > don't know which files.
> > >
> > > Now the english characters are unclear and the Chinese
> > > characters are even more worse.
> > >
> > > How to fix it?
> > > Thanks in advanced!
> > >

> > it seems not a xfce4 problem, but a fontconfig one. check
> /etc/fonts/font.conf?
>
> But when I use gnome to startx,everything is OK.So  this  maybe  can show
> that the /etc/fonts/font.conf is OK......

It can't actually.

What, very specifically, is your problem? You claim it's a problem
with fonts.conf, but Xfce doesn't do anything to the fontconfig
configuration, though it does, by default, set DPI, which can affect
font size - which might be your problem. On the other hand, perhaps
your fonts.conf is broken, and Gnome overrides the underlying settings
- possible.

Or your distro could be doing something when Xfce and/or Gnome starts
up that is out of the scope of either environment. This is most
likely.

Can you be more clear about your problem? Perhaps post a comparison
screenshot to some webspace, and send the link to the list.

> > --
> > cathayan at gmail.com
> > http://blog.cathayan.org

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room