xfce does not fully quit

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Wed Apr 18 21:17:39 CEST 2007

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>     I just installed xfce-4.2.3.2-rpm-rh9.tar.bz2 on a
>> fresh Cent OS 5 (RHEL 5 clone) server.  Before I realized
>> I was in run lever 5, I was playing around in the console
>> and install things (like xfce, and x configuation).
>> Everything seemed to come out okay when I rebooted in
>> run level 3, except I can not fully exit xfce by pressing
>> the exit button.
>>
>>     When I exit XFce, the wallpaper stays (light blue)
>> and the task bar stays (all grey).  I can right click in the blue
>> and get the same menu as when xfce is running.  If I select
>> "quit" I loose the ability to right click and get a menu.
>>
>>     How do I clean this up?
>
> Remove ~/.Xauthority and ~/.ICEauthority then log out/log in again.

No symptom change.  If it is a clue, the "Exit" button does not
give me the "reboot", "shutdown", etc. options.

I suppose 4.4.1 would go a long way to help such things,
but even thought 4.4 is on Fedora Core 6, Red Hat is still
debating whether or not to xfce to Enterprise 5.
(Why is the world would anyone want to run a big, bloated
GUI on an "Enterprise" server is beyond me, but ...)

Many thanks,
-T