how make left mouse button to bring up desktop menu?

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Apr 5 17:07:26 CEST 2007

Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Kok, Auke writes:
>
>  > that won't work as obviously the left mouse button is reserved for
>  > interaction with desktop icons. You would have to hack the code and
>  > lose the possibility of using your desktop icons.
>
> the first thing i did was i disabled desktop icons (none), i.e., for me
> left mouse button is free on desktop.  in my opinion any window manager
> should allow choosing, which mouse button is used for which purpose
> rather than fixing it.  there can, of course, be defaults, but those
> should be changeable.

You're confusing 'freedom to choose' with 'demand for implementation'. The
desktop was written with a certain POV that would accomodate everyone with
reasonable freedom. It was not written to accomodate formerly fvwm users.

Frankly, it wasn't written to accomodate anyone but new users (lets not pull in
all the mistakes that other wm's made, shall we?), and that's a really good thing.

If you want to do something about it, grab a C-programming book and write the
code, or file a feature request, or pay/ask someone to write the code for you. YMMV.

Cheers,

Auke