Thunar: trash:/// != ~/.Trash?

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 23:24:35 CEST 2006

2006/9/27, Mathias Brodala <info at noctus.net>:
> Hello Mike.
>
> Mike Massonnet schrieb:
> > Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:14:39 +0200 - Mathias Brodala <info at noctus.net>
> > wrote :
> >> Heh, I already expected something like this. I guess I have to try if
> >> symlinking ~/.Trash to ~/.local/share/Trash/files works.
> >>

> >   Read the spec again.  It won't work because the trash spec expect a
> > folder to store the files and information about the trashed files.
>
> I know. But Nautilus doesn't need those information. It just plain moves the
> files to ~/.Trash and forgets about them. Heck, it even cannot restore them.
>
> >> If Thunar would offer the features I'm missing from Nautilus and
> >> remain fast as it is, then I would make it my default file browser.
> >>

> >   What features?
>
> 1) Customizable icons for directories. I always set the cover of music albums
>    for their directory, for example.

So they look like images?? (aaaarg thunar opens an image, onooo it's a folder)

> 2) Bigger thumbnails for images. Thunar keeps images at the maximum dimensions
>    of the current icon size. Nautilus shows them a lot larger so that you can
>    actually see something.

Thunar != Image viewer

> 3) Automatic generation of thumbnails for videos. Thunar only shows thumbnails
>    which were generated while visiting the directory they are in with Nautilus.

Compile with gconf-2.0 (gnome-thumbnailer)

> 4) Actually allow .torrent files to be dropped over Azureus so that it will get
>    added to the list. At the moment the dialog to add files only pops out for a
>    short moment and disappears again. The file won't get added.

Thunar can't do anything about this, it just passes the uri of the
file. More likely Azureus can't handle the standard.

> 5) A less clunky interface. Nothing against the GNOME HIG, but a border size of
>    6px is way too fat for me.

No comment, but small borders are not user-inferface-friendly.

> These are the things that keep me with Nautilus for now.

Greets,
Nick