Thunar ftp/smb plugin

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Sep 27 21:07:39 CEST 2006

If I might add $0.02.

Network resources aren't just found via network filesystems that "broadcast" advertisements (e.g., CIFS/SMB), but there are several different options out there to "publish" (ADS shares, LDAP schema like automounter maps, etc...) resources so they can be "discovered."  If you want the developers to go down that road, you are _sacking_ them with a _lot_ of detailed development that still won't make everyone happy.

And that's before we start adding file:, ftp:, ftps: (explicit, implicit), sftp: and even more options like info:, man:, etc...  There is so much re-invention of the wheel (e.g., anyone remeber all the goodies GTK+ v1-based Galeon v1 coukd do that has been utterly _lost_? ;) that it's nuts to go down that road.

In all honesty, I really think such a "subsystem" should be addressed by FreeDesktop.ORG before there are visual interfaces into it.  Especially since even 98% of Linux/Windows administrators actually don't understand how network resources are actually (or should I say "properly") published on a network (let alone a proper "enterprise" networks).

Again, I think it's something the FreeDesktop.ORG avenue should address this sprawling nightmare before any more re-invention is attempted.  And no, I did not just volunteer to try to come up with such a standard for FreeDesktop.ORG.  I just spent 18 months trying to do such with LPI for level 3 and I was constantly berrated because most people didn't know what the heck I was talking about.  ;-)

mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sent from my Treo