Thunar ftp/smb plugin

Oblio apa.chioara at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 20:18:03 CEST 2006

> When will it support samba/network browsing?
>
> It already does! Just mount your shares and go to them with Thunar! Just
> kidding.
>
> You are obviously asking about Thunar being able to discover remote
> machines on a network and mount/unmount shares from them. What you are
> asking for is nice, but there is no common framework for it yet that
> Thunar can build on.
> Thunar is designed to be a file manager, not a network file system
> manager.
> Once such a beast exists, Thunar and all other applications will be able
> to use it, and you can browse your samba or NFS shares in firefox or
> emacs, whatever.
> Short answer: not any time soon unless you write it yourself.
> ===========

There are several solution, some of them quite interesting:
- parts of Gnome-VFS being moved into glib - which should help Thunar, and
all GTK-programs BTW, in this direction; this should become that "common
framework", hopefully; I think that Benedikt already know about this ;)
- FUSE
But I feel that mounting SMB is not the main issue here, actually the
network discovery part is more important.

> oh, and this:
> THUNAR IS ALREADY GREAT WITHOUT THIS FEATURE DAMMIT!!!
> ;)

I agree, but there's always room for one more kitchen sink :D

> Cheers,
> Auke

Regards,
Oblio