xfce4-panel & memory cunsumption

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 22:28:29 CEST 2006

On 9/25/06, Rinaldi J. Montessi <montessir at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Joe Klemmer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 08:49 +0530, Biju Chacko wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, doing it this way may miss several important settings. I'd
> >> suggest:
> >>
> >> $ su -
> >>
> >> then
> >>
> >> # rm -rf /
> >>
> >> The added bonus is that this is a fairly effective way of removing all
> >> bugs and security holes from your system (not to mention all data).
> >
> >       Wow!  Man, my system is really fast now.  You wouldn't believe how
> > quickly it boots up.
>
> If you'd rather have a little fun and excitement in conjunction with
> your file maintenance you could:
>
> [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf / || echo "Still breathing, eh?"

Okay kids, fun as this all is, I recall not long ago when people
started putting up malicious Perl scripts on perlmonks.org in the
obfuscated Perl part of the site. Some people just don't speak shell,
and will run these commands just for the fun of it.

So for the sake of newbies (like my friend Jason, who ran rm -rf / in
all cluelessly the first day he had a Unix machine under his control)
and for list archives I say: don't do that.

> Rinaldi
> --
> How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to
> Dayton?  -- Brian Boyle, UNIX/WORLD's First Annual Salary Survey

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room