Fedora(rawhide) and XFCE 4.4 beta 2

Paul Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Sat Sep 9 22:43:00 CEST 2006

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Erik> On 9/3/06, Paul Michael Reilly <pmr at pajato.com> wrote:
>
>>> I bit the bullet and installed Xfce 4.4 beta 2
>>> (xfce4-4.3.90.2-installer.bin) on my rawhide system.  I installed
>>> it to /usr/local thinking that putting /usr/local/bin on my PATH
>>> variable before /usr/bin would cause the beta2 executables to run
>>> before any yum installed (fedora-extras-development.repo) Xfce 4.2
>>> executables (/usr/bin) so my first question is: was/is this wishful
>>> thinking (that I could have both 4.4 beta 2 and 4.2 installed to
>>> the same system and not encounter serious issues)?
>
> Erik> Officially I believe having multiple installs is
> Erik> unsupported. Some of us devs do it (I do not) and in the past,
> Erik> attempts have lead to major library conflicts
>
> Hi there. I'm the Xfce maintainer for fedora extras.
>
> Just worth noting here (as my reply to Paul in the fedora beta list)
> that I do have Xfce4.4b2 (and now rc1) rpms available for testing.
>
> For your /etc/yum.repos.d/xfcebeta.repo file:
>
> [xfce44beta]
> name=Xfce 4.4 rc1
> baseurl=http://www.scrye.com/xfce-4.4rc1/development/RPMS
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=0

I'm switching to your repository for my xfce4.4 beta packages.  Left to
my own devices, I removed all the xfce packages, setup your xfce44beta
repo and tried to run:

# yum -y install xfce4* xfwm4* and had lots of dependency problems:

Error: Missing Dependency: libxfcegui4.so.3 is needed by package
xfce4-mailwatch-plugin
Error: Missing Dependency: libxfcegui4.so.3 is needed by package
xfce4-fsguard-plugin
Error: Missing Dependency: libxfce4util.so.1 is needed by package
xfce4-minicmd-plugin
Error: Missing Dependency: libxfcegui4.so.3 is needed by package
xfce4-weather-plugin

I then loaded the libraries using:

# yum -y install libxfce*

which gave me good stuff and no errors but still resulted in lots of
dependency errors for the original command line.  How should we be
"yumming" xfce4.4 beta onto our systems?

Thanks,

-pmr