Setting folder handler in Opera

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Sat Sep 9 12:18:40 CEST 2006

Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Hello Benedikt.
>

>>exo-open does not support Nautilus, because Nautilus does not implement
>>the org.xfce.FileManager interface (actually exo-open has a fallback to
>>gnome-open if all else fails, tho).
>
> „If all else fails“ means that I had to remove Thunar?

In case of local files/folders, yes.

> (Is there a real documentation for exo-open? I already asked this once, without
> success.)

There's exo-preferred-applications.html, which documents exo-open. But
not the internals (as the internals are subject to change, and not
really usable to most users). The best source of information about the
internals is still the code in exo-url.c (it contains a lot of comments
and should in general be easy enough to read).

>>Concerning Opera: Maybe Opera is using the xdg-utils (-> xdg-open)?
>>xdg-open in Xfce always runs exo-open, which would probably explain why
>>Thunar is started.
>
> As I said, I manually set the folder handler explicitely to nautilus. And the
> XDG utils are not installed on my system.

Hm, the interesting question remains: What does Opera use to open local
files/folders? xdg-open would be logical, but if its not available...

> Regards, Mathias

Benedikt