Terminal request

Mişu Moldovan dumol at gnome.ro
Tue Sep 5 11:23:01 CEST 2006

Joe Klemmer wrote:
> 	I have a RFE for Terminal that would fall under "it would be nice but
> not necessary" category.
>
> 	Right now every instance of Terminal that is running gets it's
> configuration from the same place.  Thus if you change the font in one
> open terminal the font changes in all of them.  I would like to have the
> ability to have independent configurations for each instance of Terminal
> or to at least have a way to start it up with an alternative config file
> (something like a -C <config> command line switch).

This would be possible with profiles á la Gnome Terminal: you customize
a new profile to your heart's content, save it and then choose a
specific profile from the command line when launching a terminal
instance. This also works for session-management, when you restore a
saved instance of Gnome Terminal, it also restores the profile settings
in the running windows/tabs.

Profiles is the only thing I miss in Benny's Terminal application. I
usually save sessions with 4+ tabs and then use them for predefined
jobs, like being root in the first tab, logging through ssh to my router
in the second and so on... But I know from the os-cillation forum[1],
that Benny doesn't like them and didn't plan on implementing them at the
time (almost two years ago).

Did that change? I would happily file a feature request in Bugzilla and
track it's implementation. Hey, I could also get back to my barely
started Romanian translation of Terminal and finish it for Xfce 4.4.

/me mentally checks if there's anything else he can do in exchange but
sadly runs out of time,

1)
http://www.os-cillation.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Terminal_Feedback;action=display;num=1097482359

--