Fedora(rawhide) and XFCE 4.4 beta 2

Paul Michael Reilly pmr at pajato.com
Sun Sep 3 10:33:35 CEST 2006

Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> I bit the bullet and installed Xfce 4.4 beta 2
> (xfce4-4.3.90.2-installer.bin) on my rawhide system.  I installed it
> to /usr/local thinking that putting /usr/local/bin on my PATH variable
> before /usr/bin would cause the beta2 executables to run before any
> yum installed (fedora-extras-development.repo) Xfce 4.2 executables
> (/usr/bin) so my first question is: was/is this wishful thinking (that
> I could have both 4.4 beta 2 and 4.2 installed to the same system and
> not encounter serious issues)?

For the record, if the stored session has Xfce 4.2 cruft in it there
could be strange behavior, such as #1 below.  There is probably a lot
more.  This issue goes away, of course, when the Fedora team updates to
Xfce4.4.

> I am running a dual head configuration (individual displays rather
> than xinerama).  There are two issues that pop up immediately that I
> need to solve:
>
> 1) there is a bar across the top of both displays that appears to be
> an orphaned panel, i.e. I cannot get rid of it (the original panel
> that was at the top has been moved to the bottom of screen 0 and works
> just fine there.

This was due to a stored session request to start xftaskbar4, which I'm
guessing is not used on Xfce 4.4 since killing the process, saving and
restarting the session cured the problem.

> 2) I cannot seem to use the settings->panel manager dialog to
> accomplish much with the second display.  When I click on the box
> representing the second display the dialog disappears along with all
> the applications running in the fist display.  I will need to repeat
> this a few more times before I can accurately describe what is really
> going on, so this description represents my first take.

Flailing away at this issue yielded positive results, i.e. I was able to
get 4 panels running: 2 on the first display and 2 on the second
display.  The xfce4-panel program did die.  When I'm running on a more
"standard" configuration I'll file a bug report against xfce4-panel with
more details.

-pmr