xfce4 crashes in Zenwalk

Bobby Goins goins at iglou.com
Fri Sep 1 03:04:33 CEST 2006

I am having a lot of trouble with xfce crashing on my Zenwalk machine.
I really like using xfce when it is working, however, frustration is
high when it crashes.  Below is what I posted on a Zenwalk forum to
assist in determining what is going wrong.  (I show only a font warning
in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log.)

[start first Zenwalk post]

    Re: X Server crashing

    Bummer.... After upgrading from xfce package -2z28 to -3z30 and
    having to deal with general craziness

    WARNING...WARNING, WILL ROBINSON, WARNING --- DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

    I 'downgraded' to package -2z28 again and thought that things were
    working well, UNTIL.......

    I had Firefox freeze up on me.  I stopped chestnut-dialer, went to
    my second page / screen, started up Frozen Bubble, and got kicked
    out of my session.  Back to the login screen we go, do not pass go,
    do not collect $200.00.

    Here is the last of the output from my .xsession-errors:

    [start of .xsession-errors listing]

        .
        .
        .
        /usr/local/share/chestnut-dialer/chestnut_dialer/connection.py:189:
        RuntimeWarning: tempnam is a potential security risk to your program
          file_name = os.tempnam()
        *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x0921aa20 ***
                [[ Frozen-Bubble-1.0.0 ]]

          http://www.frozen-bubble.org/

          Copyright (c) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Guillaume Cottenceau.
          Artwork: Alexis Younes <73lab at free.fr>
                   Amaury Amblard-Ladurantie <amaury at linuxfr.org>
          Soundtrack: Matthias Le Bidan <matthias.le_bidan at caramail.com>
          Design & Programming: Guillaume Cottenceau
        <guillaume.cottenceau at free.fr>
          Level Editor: Kim and David Joham <[k|d]joham at yahoo.com>

          This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
        modify
          it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2, as
          published by the Free Software Foundation.

        [SDL Init] The application 'xfce4-session' lost its connection
        to the display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        The application 'xfce-mcs-manager' lost its connection to the
        display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.

        (xfwm4:3885): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

        (xfwm4:3885): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: Disconnected from session
        manager.
        The application 'xfwm4' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.

        (xfce4-panel:3890): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

        (xfce4-panel:3890): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: Disconnected from
        session manager.
        The application 'xfce4-panel' lost its connection to the display
        :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        The application 'Thunar' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        The application 'xfce4-cpugraph-plugin' lost its connection to
        the display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        The application 'Terminal' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        The application 'xfce4-menu-plugin' lost its connection to the
        display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.

        (xfdesktop:3887): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

        (xfdesktop:3887): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: Disconnected from
        session manager.
        The application 'xfdesktop' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        Agent pid 3871 killed

        Xlib: No protocol specified

        Xlib: No protocol specified

        Unable to open a console terminal at
        /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i486-linux/SDL/App.pm line 88.

    [end of .xsession-errors listing]

    And there you go....

    Nothing really shows up in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

    I am at a loss.  Any thoughts?

[end of first Zenwalk post]

[start second Zenwalk post]

    Re: X Server crashing

    Guess what?  Twice since the last post.  Here, the only thing I had
    running was chestnut-dialer and firefox.

    [start of .xsession-errors listing]

        stderr is not a tty - where are you?
        Agent pid 26351

        ** (xfwm4:26365): WARNING **: The display does not support the
        XComposite extension.

        ** (xfwm4:26365): WARNING **: Compositing manager disabled.
        /usr/local/share/chestnut-dialer/chestnut_dialer/connection.py:189:
        RuntimeWarning: tempnam is a potential security risk to your program
          file_name = os.tempnam()
        0.5 0.5 19 19
        0.5 0.5 19 19
        0.5 0.5 19 19
        The application 'xfce4-session' lost its connection to the
        display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.

        (xfwm4:26365): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

        (xfwm4:26365): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: Disconnected from session
        manager.

        (xfdesktop:26367): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

        (xfdesktop:26367): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: Disconnected from
        session manager.

        (xfce4-panel:26370): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: ICE I/O Error

        (xfce4-panel:26370): libxfcegui4-WARNING **: Disconnected from
        session manager.
[...]
        The application 'chestnut-dialer' lost its connection to the
        display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        The application 'Gecko' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        Agent pid 26351 killed

    [end of .xsession-errors listing]

[end of second Zenwalk post]