desktop problems after changing theme

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 28 20:40:42 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 16:49 +0100, Lamanary Ramos de Pina wrote:
> hi list,
> i'm running xubuntu edgy here. i've changed the theme and now i can't
> start several apps (e.g. xfce4-panel, xfce4-terminal, xchat, gaim,
> thunar) and the app that controls th window (now the windows has no
> borders).
> the message i get is:
> (some_app: 5515): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no name
> (some_app: 5515): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no
> directories
> Segmentation fault
>
> how do i switch back to the last working theme or chose other one on
> the terminal (xterm)?
> thank you
> --
> Having smoking und non-smoking sections in the same room is like
> having urinating and non-urinating sections in a swimming pool.
> Ross Parker

Dear Lamanary,

I ran into a similar problem. My first response was to install 4.4rc1
from the XFCE web site. (Which I wanted to do anyway.) I still had a
task bar across the bottom of the screen, to which I had added a menu
button. Then, when I saw I had no window borders, I activated the XFCE
settings, then the desktop manager. At the very top of the desktop
manager window, look for a checkbox titled "Allow Xfce to manage the
desktop." Check it, then see what happens. If your window borders
reappear, that may do the trick. It did for me. I made sure that once I
had checked that box, I ended my XFCE session with the Quit button; then
made sure I checked the save session box before fully logging out of
XFCE. When I logged back into XFCE, all was right with the world...

With best regards,

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter