several defects and enhacement-wishes

Carl carlsymons at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 18:41:46 CEST 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 8:03 am, samo wrote:
> > > do u suggest svn-head?
> >
> > I'd suggest using Debian official sources. (I'd suggest using
> > Debian, but we're not there to talk about distribs). If you don't
> > want to screw your install by accidentally install Debian packages
> > other than Xfce, you may want to use following sources:
> >
> > deb http://debian.corsac.net unstable/
> > deb-src http://debian.corsac.net unstable/
> >
> > (see http://www.corsac.net/?rub=xfce (in french) and
> > http://www.corsac.net/?cat=3 )
>
> Just for the protocol, yesterday i did downgrade all to ubuntu-edgy
> (4.3.90-99) level, and then the keyboard shortcuts for switching
> workspaces / sending windows to workspaces stopped to work. Then i
> upgraded back to ubuntu-unstable (4.3.99), no change.
> The keys are recognised (and eaten) (even Terminal's cursor changes
> while key is pressed), but nothing else.
>
> today i'll check these repos above, as if they are official (-;.
> Any idea what went broke - and doesn't want to come back sane?
> would 'rm -rf ~/.cache' help? i'll try anyway.
> i'm near sure it is not because of version - edgy works ok on another
> machine.

> > > umm, no, not the desktop-menu (apps etc), but the window-menu -
> > > maximize, minimize, hide, sticky, send-to-workspace...
> >
> > Ah yes. But all those item can be binded to commands in window
> > manager settings, aren't they ?
>
> yeah, about 15 keys for things not used that often at all...
>
> > > And another thing there - are the table/panel sizes fixed in the
> > > code or what? e.g. i never see the right column of that
> > > shortcut-assignment table, only the left one.
> >
> > Maximize the window helps.
>
> yes, but this is not a fix.
> should i just shut up and leave u alone?
> one of the big problems of the free software is the near-complete
> absense of usability-analysis and _especialy_ synthesis; and the
> hack-it-workaround-it attitude, thus making temporary solutions
> permanent, doesnt help that either.
>
> ciao
> samo
This has a lot to do with xfce+ubuntu. The xfce mailing list has had numerous
messages related to getting xfce working with ubuntu.

The version of xfce you are using is beta (or maybe release candidate to be
more technically correct). The xfce maintainers have spoken of having at
least one more rc before final. If you want finished software, don't use
betas.

I am a fairly new xfce user who discovered the hard way that the ubuntu
repository wasn't giving me the desired results with xfce. The primary issue
was that the required xfce packages in the ubuntu repository were not all of
the same vintage. Installing from source was the only way that I could get
what I wanted. But I did it with the recognition that I may encounter some
problems.

So...no you shouldn't just shut up and leave [the xfce mailing list] alone.
You could do something to make it better, even if only reporting things that
don't work. Whining doesn't make a difference. This--" one of the big
problems of the free software is the near-complete absense of
usability-analysis and _especialy_ synthesis"--makes no difference. The very
thing that you are complaining about is one of the reasons that open source
(free) software is fixed 8 times faster on average than comparable (in terms
of function and quality) proprietary software.

Are you willing to participate in usability analysis and synthesis? Are you
willing to contribute what you can to improve xfce and other free software
that you use? Or are you just going to use it and complain about the
ineffectiveness of other people's volunteer efforts?