Menu commands to open applications as root - how to?

Terry teaman at exemail.com.au
Thu Nov 30 06:47:24 CET 2006

Scott Jones wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:17, Terry wrote:
>

>> One application I want to launch is konqueror --profile filemanagement.
>> It is better than Midnight Commander when you want to move files or
>> directories.
>>

> Since you already have it installed, kdesu "konqueror --profile
> filemanagement" will do the trick.  I tried with gnomesu, but konq never came
> up.
>

>> Another is Thunar, for opening files.  Sometimes I want to open a file
>> to which I as a user do not have access.
>>

> Both kdesu and gnomesu will work.
>

>> I have been using Terminal but it would obviously be more convenient to
>> just click on a menu command and then enter a password.  Apart from any
>> other consideration, opening an application from Terminal ties up that
>> tab, so if you need to do something else as root, you have to login on
>> another tab as root.
>>

> "command &" w/out quotes will normally start the app and allow you to still
> work in that session, though some apps aren't so well-behaved (can't remember
> offhand which, as it's been a while since I've run in to any).

kdesu was the missing ingredient.  I also would not have thought of
enclosing the following command in double inverted commas.

Many thanks.  Is there an option for anyone who does not have Kde or
Gnome installed?

--

Xfce on PCLinuxOS, OOo 2.0.2 (en_GB).
Mail to teaman is not opened; if necessary, email realmail.