Menu commands to open applications as root - how to?

Scott Jones scottj.org at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 06:14:54 CET 2006

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:17, Terry wrote:

> One application I want to launch is konqueror --profile filemanagement.
> It is better than Midnight Commander when you want to move files or
> directories.

Since you already have it installed, kdesu "konqueror --profile
filemanagement" will do the trick.  I tried with gnomesu, but konq never came
up.

> Another is Thunar, for opening files.  Sometimes I want to open a file
> to which I as a user do not have access.

Both kdesu and gnomesu will work.

> I have been using Terminal but it would obviously be more convenient to
> just click on a menu command and then enter a password.  Apart from any
> other consideration, opening an application from Terminal ties up that
> tab, so if you need to do something else as root, you have to login on
> another tab as root.

"command &" w/out quotes will normally start the app and allow you to still
work in that session, though some apps aren't so well-behaved (can't remember
offhand which, as it's been a while since I've run in to any).