[xfwm4] focus problems introduced in RCs

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:47:42 CET 2006

I have noticed some peculiar behaviour of xfwm4, that was introduced in RC1
and RC2.

First of all, the one linked to emelFM2. emelFM2 allows user to open several
widgets (if not mistaking terminology) at the same time. For example, I can
have a file open with the internal viewer, a second one with the internal
editor, and the find plugin at the same time. And I can continue to
peacefully browse my folders. However, consider that all these windows are
open (one would also be enough) and I browse using the main window and I
decide to open another dialog (create dir, for example): when I close this
last opened dialog, xfwm4 bugs. Instead of giving focus back to the main
window (where I was browsing before opening the mkdir dialog), it gives it
to one of the secondary windows (internal viewer, for example). Fluxbox
handles correctly this case and so did xfwm4 in Beta releases. I was told
that Gnome also behaved correctly.

Another peculiarity was introduced in RC2 with respect to Opera. I am not
sure whether this is xfwm4's or Opera's fault. I access any webpage with
Opera, and I hit <ctrl>s. The dialog appears. I save the html file and at
this moment xfwm4 fails to give focus back to Opera. So that when the "save
as" dialog closes, I am left with focus given to nowhere. Both these
behaviours make life difficult. I tried to play with Xfce's WM Settings and
Tweaks, but no luck.

A third case of strange behaviour is linked again to Opera and a file
manager (Thunar or emelFM2). To reproduce: open Opera and make sure it is
shown (as opposed to hidden, in xfwm4 terminology). Open Thunar and from
Thunar open a certain saved html file. What happens is that Opera opens
correctly the html file, but receives no focus. Focus continues to stay on
Thunar's or emelFM2's main window. Once again, I'm not sure whether xfwm4 or
Opera is to blame here (I have set automatically giving focus to new
windows). This peculiarity was present when using Xfce 4.2, too.

Liviu