Menu and window list no longer show on desktop

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Nov 26 10:18:57 CET 2006

Terry wrote:

>> I liked that feature, particularly when I could not get the panel in
>> view, and I still have the options selected.
>>
>> At one point I tried to upgrade Xfce.  I believe it was after that
>> failed attempt that the menu and window list stopped displaying.
>>
>> Clicking the right mouse button now gets me a drab, Gnome-like context
>> menu with 7 unhelpful commands and an 8th command "Change Desktop
>> Background".  The middle button gets nothing.
>>
>> I tried reinstalling and removing the .config folder in my home
>> directory, to no avail.
>>
>> I would like to return to the former situation.  How do I do it?
>>

> Another problem fixed by installing a later version of Xfce.  The
> offending menu was still there but sanity was restored after I opened
> and closed the settings module for the desktop.

The symptoms you describe are usually encountered when nautilus is
started, taking over the desktop and killing xfdesktop in the process.
It is possible that running the settings manager dialog restarts
xfdesktop. Running 'killall nautilus' and saving the session when you
log out might be needed to prevent nautilus from startig up the next
time you log in.

    Jasper