I cannot get the shutdown and reboot options

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Fri Nov 24 05:54:01 CET 2006

Terry wrote:
> Anthony Ewell wrote:
>> Terry wrote:
>>
>>> I've tried amending the "sudoers" file as directed, created a "sudo"
>>> group and added myself to it, all to no avail.  I also amended that file
>>> by giving myself the right to shutdown and reboot.
>>>
>>> Nothing has worked.  It's a bit ridiculous because I am the only user.
>>>
>>> I cannot find the secret formula.  What do I do?
>>>

>> Hi Terry,
>>
>>     This is my custom entries in my /etc/sudoers file:
>>
>> # XFce stuff
>> %users ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>>
>> # General stuff
>> %users  ALL=PASSWD:/usr/sbin/gdmsetup
>> %users  ALL=/usr/sbin/kppp
>> %users  ALL=/usr/sbin/pppd
>> %users  ALL=/usr/sbin/system-config-network
>> %users  ALL=/sbin/shutdown
>> %users  ALL=/sbin/halt
>> %users  ALL=/sbin/reboot
>> %users  ALL=/sbin/poweroff
>>

>> Paths my vary.  See if your sudoers matches mine.
>>
>> Also, make sure you can do a "which"
>> (which xfsm-shutdown-helper) on all you files to
>> make sure they have the correct paths.
>>
>> If this doesn't help, run /usr/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>> from the command line and post it to the group along with
>> your custom entries from sudoers.
>>
>> HTH,
>> --Tony
>
> Yes, thanks.  Your wording is similar to that in the forum message.
> I've altered the sudoers file to read as follows:
>
> %terry ALL=(root) NOPASSWD:/usr/lib/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>
> The only other uncommented line is:  root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> I'm not sure how relevant the sudoers file is on my system.  PCLinuxOS
> basically uses root rather than sudo.
>
> I just tried running the command with the following result:
>
> [terry at localhost ~]$ /usr/lib/xfsm-shutdown-helper
> XFSM_SUDO_DONE [hangs so I press ENTER again, then:]
> FAILED
>
> Oh, the pain.
>
> I get the same result after changing sudoers to %terry
> ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/lib/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>
> and: %users ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/lib/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>
> There is no "user alias specification" in sudoers.  The man page is so
> much geekese, so I'm not even sure I need one, let alone understand how
> to format it.

Just to make sure the easy stuff is covered:

1) did you use "visudo" to edit /etc/sudoers?
2) is "xfsm-shutdown-helper" located in /usr/lib?

If you need to look for it, this is a brute force
command that will find it.  You must be root ("su"
from the command line) to use it properly:

       find / -iname xfsm-shutdown-helper -print

Yes, XFce needs to become more usable by the non-technical.
I think they are heading in that direction, eventually.
XFce is a pretty piece of code, I hope you get it working.

--Tony