shutdown as a user problems

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Fri Nov 24 04:23:31 CET 2006

Mark Grieveson wrote:
>> When I try to power off, I get asked for the root's
>> password, which I dutifully enter, then I get told I
>> do not have permission.  No joy is to be had.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> --Tony
>

> First, in a terminal, as root, enter "visudo -f /etc/sudoers"
>
> This will allow you to edit the sudoers file.  By doing this, you will
> be giving everyone, and not just root, the power to either reboot or
> shutdown the computer.
>
> In Debian systems, add:
>
> %users ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/xfsm-shutdown-helper

Hi All,

    Mark called it.  This is my custom entries in /etc/sudoers:

# XFce stuff
%users ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

# General stuff
%users  ALL=PASSWD:/usr/sbin/gdmsetup
%users  ALL=/usr/sbin/kppp
%users  ALL=/usr/sbin/pppd
%users  ALL=/usr/sbin/system-config-network
%users  ALL=/sbin/shutdown
%users  ALL=/sbin/halt
%users  ALL=/sbin/reboot
%users  ALL=/sbin/poweroff

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help in the matter!
Many thanks,
--Tony