Touchy sessions

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 03:32:20 CET 2006

On 11/21/06, John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:
>   After adding an extra clock to the panel, and hardexiting
>   (CtlAltBacksp), the clock disappears when restarting. I suppose that
>   is ok, as no session save is done explicitly. None of the other
>   plugins was lost.

Hey John. Let me clarify something.

Session saving saves running applications, and restarts them. The
panel, for example, gets restarted every time you log in by the
session manager.

The plugins running in the panel are saved by the panel configuration,
and not the session manager. Just as saving your email configuration
in Sylpheed has nothing to do with saving the session.

>   Doing a 'xfce4-panel --save' makes the change permanent, and I _can_
>   hard-exit without losing the clock or anything.
>
> 2) There still is a difference between exiting with a session-save and
>    xfce4-panel --save, I think.

Very much so. The session save saves the state of the whole desktop,
and restarts any session aware applications on next login.

xfce4-panel --save just tells the panel to save it's configuration
before it gets around to doing it itself.

I have the impression that the exit with
>    save _does_ save my running Sylpheed, while the xfce4 command didn't.
>
> Not entirely sure about 2), will try again tomorrow...
>
> John

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room