Always on Top

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 20 06:30:38 CET 2006

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:02:02 -0800
Odenthal, James P got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> The product measures size of parcels as they speed by on a conveyor.  The
> government's "legal-for-trade" certification agency requires a display.  If
> on PC, it must never be covered.  Yet we need access to other dialogs,
> setups.  The display is 2 lines, last two boxes. Small enough put along
> bottom.  Under setup we want to see expanded list, last 10/20 boxes.  Maybe a
> dock, or a toolbar would work better?

Well, sure, if it's a Linux box, there's a whole schmorgasbord of apps like
that, if all you're doing is tailing the output of a given application. A bash
script (don't ask me to write one, I'm not even a beginner at best...) that
grepped the contents of an output file and sent it to, for example the genmon
panel plugin could accomplish something like what you're looking for. And when
the panel is set to 'On Top', it definitely stays on top!

Of course, it all depends on the app you're using, and how it generates the
output, in what format, etc, etc.

> I've got 56 hours to demo time....

Egads! What are you doing talking to me??

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046