Xfce panel-2 menus -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Nov 15 22:47:58 CET 2006

JoeHill wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:56:31 -0500
> Bob Goodwin got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>

>> Drag what to what?  There doesn't seem to be any such action possible?
>> Perhaps I'm dense
>> but there is nothing intuitive about this process.
>>

> No, you're not dense :-) It should be right click on panel, choose 'add new
> item', and in the list which pops up, you *should* have a myriad of panel
> plugins available to drag to the panel, one of which is right at the top, a
> launcher/menu.
>
> One thing I found that is waaaaay cool (and if I understand you correctly,
> this is what you are looking for) is xfce4-appfinder, this gives you a list of
> available apps that you can either drag to the panel as launchers, or add to a
> launcher/menu you've already created.
>
> What makes it so easy now is, say you create a launcher with a menu. For each
> item, to configure it, pretty much all you have to do is open up the properties
> dialogue for the launcher or menu item you want to set up, and just drag the
> app you want from the xfce4-appfinder list. Cool, huh? All that's left is to
> give it a name and description.
>

>> Perhaps I need to add panels to launch more applications?  If I
>> understood the philosophy ...
>>

> Nah, you could add them all to one panel if you wanted, but I've found there's
> so many cool things to add to the panel, I need four of them (three on
> autohide) to hold them all ;)
>
> HTH!

Yes I think that helps, it looks like all I need to do is assign an icon  to
bring up "xfce4-appfinder."  I was experimenting with "Panel 3" which I
could
autohide along one side of the screen.  That also would work.  I'm
mainly concerned
with starting less used applications, things that I need but not every day.

I'm sure you understand.

Anyway I'm off in the right direction.

Thanks much for the assist.

Bob Goodwin