Mousepad Print

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Nov 14 20:29:45 CET 2006

Mark Grieveson wrote:

>> Since Mousepad print support comes from Xfprint4, that is the package
>> which needs to be built with CUPS support
>>

> Temporarily ignoring for a moment the fact that the initial conclusion,
> that being that I need to install the dev files of cups to correct the
> situation, was based upon the false premise/assumption that I had
> installed Mousepad and/or Xfprint4 from source, I decided to once again
> install the whack of cups dev files, and their dependencies, and then
> run dpkg-reconfigure xfprint4.  And, of course, even after rebooting
> (just to be sure) this did not work.  I get the same error, that being,
> "Neither the printing system backend or a2ps could be found on your
> system, you won't be able to print a file with xfprint !"
>
> To return to my original point, I had seen various other people in
> unable to find a solution in these posts (did everyone just give up?  Is
> there no solution?  Is this just a Debian thing?)
>
> If it's the case that xfce4, a complete desktop environment, has made a
> print utility that ignores cups, well, I feel that's just surreal.

As you probably guessed from other replies, it does work, if it is
compiled with CUPS support. Since you rebuild the package with a
debian-specific utility I can't really help you find out what went
wrong. Could be a debian thing, or a PATH setting or something else
entirely... If you still have the build tree available you could check
the config.log and check if cups was found.

    Jasper