Mousepad Print

Mark Grieveson dg135 at torfree.net
Tue Nov 14 06:19:32 CET 2006

> On 11/13/06, Mark Grieveson <dg135 at torfree.net> wrote:
>
>> >  >
>> >  > As always when you build from sources you need the devel packages of the
>> >  > dependencies. Therefore you need to install cups-devel-whatever package
>> >  > that should be available in your distro.
>> >  >
>> >  > HTH
>> >
>> > I actually installed Mousepad, and everything else on my computer, via
>> > Aptitude, using Debian Etch.  Anyway, I tried installing the
>> > libcupsystem development files, and then tried reconfiguring (via
>> > dpkg-reconfigure) the program Mousepad, but, to no avail.
>>

> Since Mousepad print support comes from Xfprint4, that is the package
> which needs to be built with CUPS support

Temporarily ignoring for a moment the fact that the initial conclusion,
that being that I need to install the dev files of cups to correct the
situation, was based upon the false premise/assumption that I had
installed Mousepad and/or Xfprint4 from source, I decided to once again
install the whack of cups dev files, and their dependencies, and then
run dpkg-reconfigure xfprint4.  And, of course, even after rebooting
(just to be sure) this did not work.  I get the same error, that being,
"Neither the printing system backend or a2ps could be found on your
system, you won't be able to print a file with xfprint !"

To return to my original point, I had seen various other people in
unable to find a solution in these posts (did everyone just give up?  Is
there no solution?  Is this just a Debian thing?)

If it's the case that xfce4, a complete desktop environment, has made a
print utility that ignores cups, well, I feel that's just surreal.

Mark