I installed xfce4.4 rc2

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 19:49:30 CET 2006

On 11/12/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> >> It appears that the system-menu is read only and generated from the
> >> appfinder list.  How do I get the appfinder to refresh, it is missing
> >> many apps.
> >
> > The system menu and appfinder have nothing to do with each other.  If
> > applications are missing from one or the other, it's likely a bug.  Or
> > just it doesn't look in all the places that the other does.
>
>         This jogged my memory about something I've been wondering for a
> bit now (well, all of the Xfce 4.4 previews through rc2).
>
>         On the extremely rare times I start into KDE it seems there's a
> ton of menu entries under "Edutainment" yet under Xfce there's only one.
> It's not an issue 'cause I don't use any of these things but it might be
> nice if/when I get an Xfce box for my son.  Any idea where I can start
> digging to find what the disconnect for this might be?

I'd start by choosing one particular application that appears in the
Edutainment menu in Kde but not in Xfce, then finding the .desktop
file that corresponds to that entry. Then check the contents and path
of it. Maybe Xfce doesn't look in that path for .desktop files? Maybe
it does, but the .desktop file specifies that it should only be shown
in Kde? Maybe you've (although unlikely) stumbled upon a bug in the
.desktop parser?

Regards, Alexander Toresson