[Terminal] open tab in existing window

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri Nov 10 19:53:56 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 13:31 -0500, JoeHill wrote:

> > (plus I don't use tabs in terms; I'm a dinosaur and prefer one term per
> > process or command).
>
> Oh, but the wonders of screen... a coupla terms, and all the processes are
> there, running happily... even without the term (detach!).
>
> Plus you save a whole whack of screenspace. If I had a term open for every ssh
> connection... or that could just be I have too many freakin' computers ;)

	Heh, I have two virtual desktops dedicated to *terms.  I have one per
ssh, one root and somewhere between 1 and 6 sitting at $HOME waiting for
me.

Side story: A couple of years ago I was working at the Pentagon doing
UNIX SysAdmin stuff.  There were 20-some servers in this one pilot
program that we were admin'ing.  When I got hired the only system they
had available for my desktop was an older iMac.  So every day I've got
_many_ xterm's open ssh'ed into the servers from the iMac.  A number of
people there found that to be humorous.

	I thought it was normal.