how to set XFce at run level 5 default?

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Fri Nov 10 18:59:21 CET 2006

>     How do I make XFce the default in run level 5?

For the record, I am using CentOS 4.4, which is the
same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.4 (only cheaper)
and is loosely based on Fedora Core 3.

Figured this out.  Never did find a gui utility to do
it with.  Found it with

      find /etc/X11 -exec grep -l -i default {} \;

To set XFce as the dafault session, I made the following
changes to "/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf":

          #DefaultSession=default.desktop
          DefaultSession=xfce.desktop

Developers: please consider:

1)  adding this to the "things to do after installing
XFce" in your FAQ

2)  creating a simple utility to do this and placing it
in your "settings" dialog, along with desktop, screensaver,
mouse, etc..  Suggested name: "gdm session config"

Hope this helps someone else.

--Tony