how to set XFce at run level 5 default?

Bruno Jesus XFCE myxfce at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 03:17:23 CET 2006

On 11/7/06, Anthony Ewell <aewell at gbis.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>      I am new to run level 5.  I have done multiple
> servers that start in run level 3, but this is my
> first workstation.  In run level 3, when I want
> to start XFce, I use "x" (ln -s `which startxfce4` x)
> to start it.
>
>     I did the session thing on the web site to get
> XFce in gdm, which allows me to pick XFce from
> "sessions" at the bottom of the log on screen, but I never
> remember.  So I get to say hi to the gnome desktop
> everytime I boot up, then log back out, pick XFce
> from sessions, and log back in.  What a pain.
>
>     I have made several trips to the gdm's man
> page.  No joy.
>
>     How do I make XFce the default in run level 5?

Maybe creating the file ~/.xsession and adding a "exec startxfce4"
solves the problem.

If not, backup your /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession and open it as root.
Try commenting the case which selects the window manager and add a
"exec startxfce4".

This is another approach, not an answer but a work around.

Open (as root) your /etc/inittab and change your default init to 3,
then change your first console screen to do a mingetty --autologin
USER. (you may need to install mingetty).

Now as your USER create a file ~/.xinitrc and put exec startxfce4 on it.

So you will have autologin and XFCE wm as your user.

--
Bruno Gonçalves de Jesus
Dê-me uma alavanca e um SO livre e moverei o mundo!