[Terminal] open tab in existing window

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Thu Nov 9 16:11:28 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 13:18 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:

> Is it possible to run a command in such a way that it be run in a "new
> Terminal tab", instead of a "new Terminal window"? I am using one
> single Terminal window with multiple tabs, for about all the time.
> However, it is often that I run commands (terminal -x mplayer, for
> example) from an arbitrary application (emelFM2 or Thunar, for
> example). Running 3-4 such commands fills rapidly the Task Bar with
> Terminal Windows, when what I would really prefer would be filling the
> existing Terminal Window with tabs.
>
> Now, if I didn't miss anything from the documentation (tell me if I
> did), I would like to know whether you'd like such a feature for
> Terminal and whether I should file a feature request.

	The "--tab" option should do this.  It reads -

--tab	Open a new tab in the last-specified window; more than one of
	these options can be provided.

This seems to mean that if you send a command like "terminal --tab -x
mplayer" it should open this in the last active Terminal window.  I'd
try it out myself but I'm to lazy (plus I don't use tabs in terms; I'm a
dinosaur and prefer one term per process or command).