autostarted application

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Nov 6 21:35:31 CET 2006

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:33:10 +0100, Peggy Kutyla wrote:

> Hi every one,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Edgy with both Gnome and Xfce svn.
> Gnome have some auto-started application which i don't need under Xfce
> but Xfce load them.
> I've notice that the gnome's .desktop had a line
> X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

About which .desktop files are you talking? Those in
/usr/share/applications/ (and other similar paths) or those in
~/.config/autostart?

You could try to add NotShowIn=XFCE or OnlyShowIn=GNOME in those files
you do not want to start in Xfce or only want to start in GNOME (note,
that there's a difference between those two variants).

I'm not sure if this feature is implemented in our autostart support.

> I didn't see such a line in .desktop files created with Xfce.
> Is it possible to add one ?
> Or make Xfce take care of X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled ?

IMHO, keys starting with X-GNOME are irrelevant for Xfce. They're
vendor/application specific keys which other vendors/applications should
not care about. How would you expect Xfce to treat this
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled key? I mean, that the app is marked for
autostart in GNOME doesn't always mean that it should be ignored in
Xfce, right?

Regards,
Jannis