cannot launch some applications from within XFCE

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 05:40:20 CEST 2006

--- Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> nusret wrote:
>
> > I can't see an xinitrc or .xinitrc. Am I assumed
> to create one? Or
> > did things changed in XFCE 4.4? If I need to
> create one, what's the
> > format of such a file? A minimal sample would do
> (with, let's say,
> > PATH variable set to something...). Could you
> provide me with such a
> > sample?
>
> 	On my FC4 laptop -
>
> $ locate xinitrc

/var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/xinitrc-4.0.18.1-1.noarch.hdr
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xmbind.sh
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xinput.sh
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
>
> 	This last is probably what you want.  Copy it over
> and hack it as needed.
>
> Joe

Thanks to all who gave good tips about the matter. In
my system (Xubuntu 6.0x) the file is located in
/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc. I copied the code in
.bash_profile that tests for existence of a user
configuration file (I copied, because I don't know the
syntax) and imported a .xinitrc file that I saved in
my home directory, in which I exported the library
path. Worked like a charm just like I wanted it. Now I
don't need to install the library using ldconfig.
Actually this is my PC, so i don't need at all any of
these, but you know, man is made of curiosity :)

Thanks to all of you again!

Regards,
N.