OT: Theming custom widgets [was Re: xfdesktop patch (new mcs options for icon labels)]

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat May 27 01:34:21 CEST 2006

Nikolas Arend wrote:

> Well, Joe, I don't recall anybody _demanding_ anything of Brian or
> expressing that they felt having the right to do so. Not me anyway.

	Ok, before this has the opportunity to get out of hand...

> That kind of posts like yours above, implying s.th. which was never
> said that way, make me a bit angry. A few posts earlier in the
> original thread you yourself were interested in that patch and were
> referring to the fact that xfdesktop is GPL'ed software and people
> should "vote with their feet". For the record: I never intended
> branching xfdesktop and creating my own competitive tool. The patch
> was just meant as a contribution to this list, whether or not it's
> gonna be used. And it was well-meant and not provocatively.

	First off, I never implied, inferred, insinuated or any other in-
anything.  I commented on Brian's comment only.  And I've been in this
FLOSS world longer than anyone here.  The only thing I was talking about
were two separate issues, neither of which I used your name or referred
to you in.  One, in the FLOSS world anyone can take the code and make
anything they want out of it.  I personally would be against someone
making a replacement for these configuration settings but if someone
wanted to they are perfectly within their rights.  Two, writing open
source programs is a very thankless job.  For every person who writes to
say thank you there's 100 others complaining that it sucks because the
spelling in the comments is wrong (true story).

	Now, there are a few people in this list who know me.  They can tell
you that I'm not an arrogant @$$hole (well, not arrogant at least) but
sometimes my email can come across that way.  Just remember to use the
primary rule of email; read every message as if it were sent to you by
your loving mother.  Voice inflection and facial expressions are missing
in email so to avoid heartburn and headaches, think of your loving mother.

Joe