OT: Theming custom widgets [was Re: xfdesktop patch (new mcs options for icon labels)]

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Fri May 26 00:09:33 CEST 2006

On 5/25/06, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Having said that, I just absolutely love how I go out of my way to
> implement a feature people had asked for (that I wasn't originally too
> interested in implementing), only for some people to feel the need to
> complain about it when it's done.  Jesus, people, give it a rest.  It's
> a HIDDEN OPTION for those of you with the ability and need to tinker.
> For all intents and purposes to the average user, the option does not
> (and, IMO, need not) exist.  Does that put things in perspective?

Yes, I would agree there.  But not to beat a dead horse (my own, as it
turns out), I think this lends credence to making it just work
according to one's GTK+ theme.  I think you'll find that there will be
some people that will always want the opacity setting, but I think
you've done it exactly right.  (I haven't used SVN with these changes;
does it pick up the colors by default without tinkering?)

> /me goes off to find someone to make him a Guinness float.

Well, now that's just gross.  Let's hope it numbs your tongue and
throat before you even have to swallow it.