Thoughts on XFCE 4.3.90: root-tail?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 17 14:30:59 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> It occurs to me that the icons could be done in the same way
> (pre-rendering the desktop to a pixmap and setting it as the window's
> back pixmap), and it would be faster in some cases[1], though possibly
> slower in others[2].  Either way, the back pixmap method was a pain in
> the ass when interacting with the gtk theme, so I don't really want to
> go back.

OK.  I should note that in XFCE3, it Just Works (tm).  root-tail writes
its output on top of the background image, but the icons are on top of
root-tail's output.  I have no idea how this is achieved -- perhaps the icons
are drawn as separate windows with the SHAPE extension?

Anyway, I'll figure something out.  If I can get the Terminal not to show the
scrollbar, that's probably the best solution.

Regards,

David.